katiaandkitchen header image
HomemoreLifeLifeAbout

Homemade vegetable stock… in a jar

Ladies and gentlemen… a vegetable stock concentrate in a jar!
I know, it’s not a colourful and mouth-watering cupcake, and even if I struggled to take a nice picture trying to make it appealing… it’s still a green vegetable stock concentrate.

However, you know, I’m a homemade stuff lover and I’m a big fan of genuine, organic and local ingredients, so I love sharing what in my kitchen is made from scratch. Stock included.
You can easily make it by cooking a mixture of rock salt and fresh organic veggies, and store it in the fridge or freezer for a few months. Just dissolve a teaspoon of this vegetable stock concentrate in hot water and you’ll get your homemade vegetable stock ready to use.
Sounds easy, doesn’t it?
And please, don’t keep buying vegetable stock in cubes or, even worse, in plastic bags when you can choose your own best ingredients.

Homemade vegetable stock concentrate
(about 350 gr)

200 gr celery
200 gr carrots
1 onion
1 leek
250 gr rock salt
10 gr fresh parsley
10 gr fresh basil
2 thyme sprigs
1 bay leaf
1 sage leaf
1 rosemary sprig

• Peel, wash and roughly chop all the vegetables.
  • Process all the ingredients pulsing until a small, rough chop forms. Depending on the size of your food processor, you might need to process in batches.
  • Pour the vegetable mixture and rock salt into a heavy-bottomed pan (a cast iron pan does the job very well). There’s no need to add any water because the salt will quickly turn to liquid.
  • Cook over a very low heat untill the liquid evaporates (about one hour and a half).
  • In a food processor, puree the cooked vegetable mixture and, if you want a very concentrate paste as I do, reheat the mixture in a large non stick pan for about 10-15 minutes, stirring carefully.
  • Transfer to very clean storage containers or jars and freeze or refrigerate.┬áBecause of the salt, the stock will be very easy to scoop out a spoonful at a time.
  • To use: mix 1 teaspoon vegetable concentrate stock with 1 litre of hot water and adjust on your personal preference, just keep in mind it is quite salty and concentrate.

21 Comments

• 1
    March 20, 2012 - 9:35 pm | Permalink

what a great idea! i always make my own chicken stock, but i had never thought of making my own vegetable stock, or veg stock concentrate. definitely will be giving this a try!

• 2
      March 22, 2012 - 6:52 pm | Permalink

Amy, that’s a such an easy way to get your veggie stock ready in a minute… :)

• 3
    March 21, 2012 - 10:34 pm | Permalink

absolutely wonderful idea! I still remember the jar you had given me, and I sigh in despair because it’s all gone now!!!!
    ;)

great pictures, btw.

XOXO

• 4
      March 22, 2012 - 6:57 pm | Permalink

I remember that stock concentrate, but it was slightly different… this is much better.
      Why don’t you make your own stock, lazy foodblogger?! :-) or just come to London to pick another jar up :) Kisses

• 5
    March 22, 2012 - 1:58 am | Permalink

amazing!! Love this recipe and the idea! Thanks Katia!

• 6
    March 22, 2012 - 7:05 pm | Permalink

I’m glad you like it Ahn! :)

• 7
    March 22, 2012 - 11:56 pm | Permalink

Beautiful photography! I’ve never seen such good looking carrots before! I’ll probably end up using an immersion blender to avoid the transferring. I love that this lasts for so long as well! Love it!

• 8
    March 24, 2012 - 8:26 am | Permalink

Hi Jeff, there are many ways to get a good homemade stock, blending or processing, but the most important thing to me is to choose my own good-looking veggies at the market ; )
    Thank you for stopping by!

• 9
    March 24, 2012 - 1:32 pm | Permalink

Beautifully done…and so much better than what you can buy in the market!

• 10
      March 26, 2012 - 3:04 am | Permalink

Right, no more stock cubes from the market ;)

• 11
    March 24, 2012 - 7:43 pm | Permalink

A fantastic idea! I made some dried one long long time ago…I prefer yours, fuss-free and quicker. Thanks, Katia, for sharing this.

• 12
      March 26, 2012 - 3:15 am | Permalink

You’re right: the dried one is very good as well, but as you said it’s definitely fussy and it takes hours in the oven and, last but not least, it’s more expensive (if we consider the electricity bill ;) )

• 13
    March 25, 2012 - 8:18 am | Permalink

What a nice thing to have on hand, I need to make some!

• 14
      March 26, 2012 - 3:00 am | Permalink

it’s one of my favourite basics: ready to use and good flavour! : )

• 15
    March 26, 2012 - 5:34 am | Permalink

This is lovely! Brilliant! Filing away for when I need to give homemade culinary treats :-)

• 16
    March 27, 2012 - 7:14 am | Permalink

Wow, that is awesome! It must taste just wonderful.

Cheers,

Rosa

• 17
    April 18, 2012 - 4:32 pm | Permalink

Hi Katia! I have been using liquid vegetable stock, but a long time ago I was using cubes. I’ve never made homemade stock before but now with your recipe I’m interested in making it myself. You did a wonderful job making this stock representable. It’s a hard subject to take pictures but I love how you did it. Thank you so much for sharing your delicious stock recipe!

• 18
    Donna
    April 22, 2012 - 6:09 pm | Permalink

Can you tell me what rock salt is? Is it himalayan salt?

• 19
      April 23, 2012 - 10:45 am | Permalink

No, actually it’s not Himalayan salt, I used just normal rock salt…
      Have a nice week.

• 20
    Mimi
    September 1, 2012 - 6:27 am | Permalink

Hi Katia
    A great recipe. I recently went to a Thermomix demonstration and was wowed by the vegie stock concentrate. Now I can make my own. Do I need to sterilise the jar first to keep in in the fridge, and how long will it keep in the fridge?
    Thanks.

• 21
    September 4, 2012 - 11:33 am | Permalink

Hi Mimi, I’m sorry for the delay : )
    I usually sterilise my jars in boiling water and I keep the veg stock in the fridge for months, at least 3-4 months, salt is a good preservative and the veg stock doesn’t go bad.
    Enjoy your new Thermomix, I would love it so much!

Cheers